Saturday | 20.1.2018 04:36 | Nameday: Dalibor

Sacral buildings

Franciscan Monastery and Church in Malacky
The area of  monastery and church of the Virgin Mary enclosed with the wall with four corner towers, was finished in 1653 during the reign of the Pálffy family in Malacky. Renaissance - baroque complex is built in place of the old renaissance palace of Balass family. Three- side building of the monastery is from the south attached to a longitudinal single-nave church with a tower on the east side.
The main altar of S.Mary – Immaculaty from the early 18th century and Nicholas Palffy epitaph belong to the dominant features of the interior, which is one of the most valuable works of baroque sculpture in Slovakia.
In the southwestern part of the church chapel Holy Stairs is located, symbolizing the stairs, on which Jesus walked in Jerusalem to Pontius Pilate. Stairs are the object of the pilgrims, who pass them being on their knees.
Under the church and in extension of chapel type, there are stored crypts with the remains of the Palffy family members, the Franciscan monks and Malacky town people. The crypts are reconstructed and open to the public. The heart of John Palffy is stored there, preserved in a silver box.

Synagogue in Malacky
Typical Jewish sacral building built the way of decorative oriental architecture. The building designed by Viennese architect V. Štiasny was completed in 1886 under the control of the architect John Terebessy from Palffy family. Central architectural type is dominated in exterior by two towers in the south-west facade with the openings in the style of Moorish arches. The walls are decoratively highlighted with colored striped rustic and applied ornament. Originally built the iconic buildings around were not maintained.

Pilgrimage Site Marianka
Marianka is one of the oldest pilgrimage sites in Slovakia often compared with the Austrian Mariazell and Polish Czestochowa. The origin of the pilgrimage site dates back to 1377, when the king of Hungary Louis I. built a church here. Gothic church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary was completed in 1380 and Louis brought a symbol of the pilgrimage site – the statue of the Virgin Mary to the altar. The statuette has been remained until today. According to the legend, it was created in 1030 by hermit. At the end of the 17th century, the church was reconstructed in baroque style. The establishment of Paulino monastery connected to the year 1377. The place was operated by Paulines until 1786. Originally a gothic monastery was several times rebuilt, changed into the mansion and also the owners were changed. Currently the pilgrimage site and renovated monastery are operated by Congregation of Consolation Friars of Gethsemane. Pilgrimage site is located in a quiet valley surrounded by forests. It includes a cross-road, six Marian Chapels, Chapel of St. Anne and Chapel of St.Well with the spring, which the miraculous effects are attributed to. The main pilgrimage takes place on the 8th September on the fest of the Birth of the Virgin Mary.

Sacral Monuments in Stupava

St. Stephen King of Hungary church was originally built as a fortified church in the 14th century, but which was not maintained. The church was rebuilt in 1767 by Palffy family. The side wings were attached and the chapels from the north and south side were added.  Another important monument is located behind the church - baroque chapel with calvary from the year 1713. One more church is in Stupava, or better said in its part Mást. It is  St.Sebastian baroque church from the year 1701.
Stupava synagogue was built in 1803 according to Polish synagogues from 17th century. Exterior dimensions are 17 x 23.5 meters; the walls are thick and massive. In the middle of the main hall are four columns, bearing arches and divide the area into twelve parts. Beautiful paintings - dark red and cobalt are still visible on vaults and walls. The building is currently in a state of decay.

The Church in Veľké Leváre
Two- tower church of the Virgin Mary in Veľké Leváre is the second largest church in Záhorie following Šaštín basilica. The building was made based on the instigation of the Vienna Archbishop Cardinal Kollonič in the year 1733, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of victory over the Turks at Vienna. In the interior are seven baroque altars from the 18th century. In the crypt below the church are deposited the remains of Kollonič and Wenckheim families, which in 1874 after the extinction of Kollonič family became the owners of Veľké Leváre estate.

Most popular today
Sports (5x)
Towns (3x)
The most general
Sports (111251x)
Attractions (71109x)
Discussion
Rebuilding the railway station
Disorientation street names