Monday | 22.1.2018 15:00 | Nameday: Zora

Castles

Castle

Bratislava Castle The first information about this castle dates back to the year 907. Since 11th century medieval castle became the county castle with its alterations and modifications. It got its present form with late Gothic rebuilding by the King Sigismund in the 15th century. In the years 1431 – 1434, there was two-storey palace. In the years 1750 - 1760, the last extension took place. In that time, the castle was the seat of the Habsburg imperial court. At the end of the 18th century, the castle began to decline.  Joseph II. established here a training center at that time. In 1811 the castle burnt down and more than 140 years was decaying. Since 1953, it has been gradually renovated. In the years 1956 - 1968 the castle was renovated according to the projects of A. Piffl and D. Martinček. At present, representative rooms of National Council of the Slovak Republic are here. Since 1968, the Historical Museum, which is a part of the Slovak National Museum, has the seat here.

Ruins of Castle

Devin Medieval stone castle Devin is located on a strategic hill at the confluence of the Danube and Morava rivers. It was rebuilt in the 15th century; the walls of lower castle were made. Later in the 16th century, the palace in the middle castle was constructed . By the year 1918, the castle Devín belonged to Pálffy family. In 1961 the castle was declared a national cultural monument. Since 1984, the area is open to the public.

Pajštún Pajštún castle is available from Borinka following the red marked tourist path, which continues through Kozlisko to Košariská. The ruins of Pajštún castle are on the limestone cliff 486 meters above see level. The first written mention dates from 1314, when it was known as Pelystan. The actual name is derived from the Hungarian village named Borostyánkö, which means amber.

Dračí hrádok. Today, here are ruins of the guard tower from the 13th century. Its position is at 370 m above see level, on the hill above Stupavský potok valley , near the ruins of Pajštún castle.

Plavecký hrad. The ruins are situated between the mountains Pohanská and Vápenná. The village Plavecké Podhradie is located below the castle. It was first mentioned in 1296 as a guard fortress of that time Hungarian border. Later, the castle went through gothic and renaissance rebuilding. The castle is in ruins since 1706, when it was badly damaged in the wars between Rakoczi rebels and Imperial troops.

The Ruins of Hainburg castle are situated on Schlossburg hill. The castle was built around 1043 to protect borders. Přemysl Ottakar Český and Margaretha Babenberg, the sister of Frederick II.got married here in 1252.
Only silhouette remained from Rottenstein castle, which is located on only 30 meters high rocky cliff on the east of Austrian Hainburg. The first written mention is from the year 1180. Several superintendents from Hainburg burgesses were shifted here. One of them even tried to get the area behind Danube from Devin county. The castle burnt down in the year 1694.  There have been several myths about the castle so far.

Manor

Stupava Manor was originally built in renaissance style. Since 1867 it belonged to Károlyi family, which rebuilt it into the romantic style. In 1947 the castle burned down, and then was reconstructed, and that significantly changed its look. It currently serves as a retirement home. Behind the building of the castle, there is the unique park with lake in original English style with the plants from the Pálffy time.

Pálffy Manor in Malacky was originally built in renaissance style in the year 1624 ; however in the year 1808 it was rebuilt into classicist style. An English park with rare trees is a part of the manor. The manor used to serve as the hospital, but at present, it is owned by the Franciscan Order of Friars Minor.

Manor in Veľké Leváre

Baroque manor from 1723 with an English park is located in Veľké Leváre. Until recent time, the manor served as a medical centre, at present, it is idle and is not open to the public.

Manor in Plavecké Podhradie is originally renaissance manor from the 17th century, which is used for the purposes of the National Archive and is not available to the public. Manor has a square ground with four various towers. It was built in renaissance style, and then rebuilt in baroque style, the modifications in the 19th and 20 century significantly changed its look.

Palffy Manor in Marchegg is situated on the place of water castle, which was built in 13th century. The castle was protected from three sides by Morava River. After the later renaissance and baroque rebuilding, it served during Austria- Hungary particularly as a chateau. The last significant reconstruction was made by Palffy family, when the manor in Malacky was used as a template for it. Today, it serves as a museum, Palffy library and many regional exhibitions take place here. The manor in Marchegg is the main venue of annual stork fests - Storchenfest.

Mansions

Austrian Schlosshof Mansion was founded at the end of 1720 as representative rural and hunting residence of Prince Eugene of Savoy. The architect Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt was not limited at its designing, which resulted in a beautiful terrace solution of the complex and the surrounding region.  In 1730 the works were more or less finished, and the castle became one of the most impressive architectural complexes of the European Baroque style. In 1756 the empress acquired property from the heirs of Prince Eugene and gave it to her husband. The emperor Francis Stephen spent each year from spring to late autumn at the castle until his death in 1765. At the end of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, the Austrian Republic used the precious furniture from the mansion for furnishing its representative embassies and government buildings at home and abroad, too. After the Imperial-Royal Cavalry the federal troops moved to mansion premises, later the army of the German Wehrmacht, and finally in 1945 the Red Army soldiers moved there and occupied the mansion for ten years.

Niederweiden Mansion – was rebuilt in the 18th century in baroque style with a nice baroque prince park. It was the place of popular fests in rather small, private round. Today, the premises of the mansion are impressive starting point for a photographic journey through the history of the changes of the imperial castles in the area of Moravské pole.

Orth Mansion is at present primarily a gateway to the National Park Dunajské Luhy. Natural wetland area – Zámocký ostrov offers a close observation of many species of live animals and plants - typical wetland residents of the area. The supreme surprise in Austria is a unique underwater observatory. The history of Danube flood areas is artificially elaborated in the museum part of the mansion.

Ekartsau Mansion was known particularly for the stay of the last Habsburg Emperor Charles in the years 1918 to 1919, shortly before he went into exile with his family. The mansion will surprise with its background, inventory and many trophies of the imperial family. Around the castle, there is a unique English park with exotic trees such as sequoia.

The most general
Sports (111263x)
Attractions (71123x)
Discussion
Rebuilding the railway station
Disorientation street names