Wednesday | 17.1.2018 16:00 | Nameday: Nataša

Current events

 

PALTOUR Project at International Travel Fair ITF Slovakiatour

In period between January 21 and January 24, 2010 PALTOUR project will be introduced at the international travel fair ITF Slovakiatour 2010, which will be held in Incheba, Bratislava. A booth of PALTOUR project together with the booth of Malacky town (No. 208) is located in the area of the Association of Towns and Municipalities of Záhorie Region exposition in B2 hall.
All partners of the project – Malacky town, Marchegg town, Marchfeldschlösser Revitalisierungs- und Betriebs Ges. m. b. H. Company, which administers Schloss Hof and Niederweiden castles, Bratislava city district Devínska Nová Ves and Bratislava Self-Governing Region - will be introduced jointly at the fair.
PALTOUR project is aimed at intensifying cooperation and promotion of culture and tourism in regions Lower Záhorie and Lower Austria. Shared history of Pálfi family connects the main project partners, Malacky town and Marchegg town. The first outputs of the project – created historical tours through Malacky and Marchegg towns and Internet information portal www.region-palffy.eu will be presented at the fair.

Historical Educational Tour through Malacky

As part of ongoing cross-border project PALTOUR, which is aimed at intensifying cooperation and promotion of culture and tourism in regions Lower Záhorie and Lower Austria, a historical educational tour through town Malacky will be created. The informative stones, located near the landmarks of the town, will represent the tour. Informative boards on the stones will display short texts in three languages – the Slovak, the German and the English. The historical educational tour consists of eight stops and it includes the most important landmarks of Malacky, such as the monastery, the church, the synagogue, the crypt, the cemetery and the Pálfi Chateau. Within the project an educational tour of a similar kind will be also created in Austrian town Marchegg.

Monastery and Cathedral of Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary
Construction of the Franciscan monastery together with the Cathedral of Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary was ordered by count Pavol Pálffy in 1653. Richly decorated altar, organ, Mikuláš Pálffy´s epitaph and a chapel containing master copy of the Saint Stairs which Jesus Christ climbed as he walked towards the Pilate´s Hall, belong to cathedral´s valuables. Similar copy of the Stairs can be only found in Jerusalem and the original is in Vatican. At present the former Franciscan monastery houses the Elementary School of Mansvét Olšovský and Secondary Grammar School of St. Francis of Assisi.

Crypts
The Pálffy family manifested their love for Malacky with a decision to bury their family members in this town. The crypts are as old as the cathedral built above them. The Pálffys started burying their family members in the Chapel of St. Anna, which used to serve as a prayer´s room before. More than 200 reputable citizens and Franciscans are buried in Cathedral´s underground. Fragments of Malacky´s statutes are stored in the lapidarium in the crypts. Legendary heart of Pavol Pálffy used to be locked in a niche protected by bars; during bad times it was bleeding – as if it was crying. The heart got lost during the 1st World War. Heart of Pavol´s son Ján, which is stored in silver holder and casted in glass, belongs to the most precious valuables of the town and only a vicar is allowed to show it to visitors upon request.

The Holy Trinity Church
The oldest sacral building monument in Malacky as a single-aisle church with presbytery was rebuilt in 1653 in the renaissance style to a protestant church. The tower built in late-renaissance style was added later. During the 18th century the church gained its baroque appearance. The church was hit by fire on April 23, 1808. A crypt was built under the sacristy and the only priest to be buried there is Pavol Brankovič. The oldest-known cemetery of Malacky is located close to the church. Statue of the Virgin Mary Victorious dating back to 1964 is situated in a small park; a cross from 1873 stands in front of former roundabout.

Ancient Cemeter
The first mention of the cemetery dates back to 1755. It was established as a result of a request from Maria Theresa to situate cemeteries outside towns. Originally, the graves were oriented towards the east. In the centre of the cemetery there is a so-called main cross made of stone around which the poor were buried. After a ban to bury the dead in crypts underneath the church was issued, the cemetery also became resting place for the Franciscans and reputable members of bourgeoisie. The cemetery contains around 3,000 graves. In 1991 the cemetery became the town´s monumental zone. Graves of writer Ľudo Zúbek, painter Michal Tillner, historian and chronicler MVDr. Pavol Hallon, advocate Jozef Dérer and art constructor János Terebessy may be also found in the cemetery.

Synagogue
Construction of the synagogue according to the project designed by architect Vilhelm Stiassny from Vienna was completed in 1886 under the supervision of Pálffys´ constructor Ján Terebessy – a native of Malacky. The rich and reputable Spitzer family donated land lying under the synagogue in Malacky to the Jewish community. The synagogue contains well-preserved foyer, male prayer room and female gallery. After 1945 the synagogue has been used for worldly purposes. At present the building houses part of the Primary School of Arts. Synagogue exterior was reconstructed in 2005.

The Pálffy Lime-tree
Hundreds of years old linden tree is a preserved exemplar of the Pálffys´ linden trees. It used to be a part of the alley lining the road between monastery and main gate of the chateau park. Walking through the linden alley used to be a pleasurable experience until 1970s when the first highway connection started being built in Malacky. A fish pond close to the black metal park gate was filled in and since then the park entrance has remained permanently esthetically impaired. The last Pálffy´s linden was professionally treated in 2008 and is said to outlive us all.

Chateau Park
The chateau park established during construction of the chateau (1634 -1648) is a national cultural monument. Since the very beginning it has been a genius masterpiece of an English gardener. The main gate was connected to the chateau by a wide alley lined with plane trees and further down with linden trees, which were later substituted by horse chestnut trees. Several buildings were in the park, namely gardener´s house, gate keeper´s house, water tower, greenhouses with decorative and agricultural plants, a pool with fountain and open-air riding school. In the first decade of 21st century the park containing both rare and exotic trees became the subject of vast revitalization. During the night from July 23 to July 24 the pride of Malacky town was struck by a severe windstorm, which destroyed its larger part.

The Pálffy Chateau
Construction of the originally a renaissance four-wing mansion with an inner courtyard took place in 1634- 1648 and is believed to have been ordered by count Pavol IV Pálffy. The chateau used to serve as Pálffys´ seat for almost 300 years. A brick well with drinking water was located in the large yard with a bronze stag proudly standing above it. The bronze stag was moved to Marchegg in 1918. At that time the Franciscans obtained the chateau from Mikuláš VI. Pálffy before he escaped from the country. However, the chateau was occupied by soldiers of the liberation army; later it served as a Franciscan college, Gestapo´s prison and barracks and until recently as a hospital. After the Velvet Revolution the Franciscan Order of Friars Minors acquired the chateau. Town of Malacky bought the chateau in 2007.

The most general
Sports (111225x)
Attractions (71091x)
Discussion
Rebuilding the railway station
Disorientation street names