Wednesday | 17.1.2018 23:13 | Nameday: Nataša

Stupava

Stupava

Stupava lies in the south part of the Borská plain, lined with the Little Carpathian range on the east. On the south it borders on Bratislava suburbs (namely Devínska Nová Ves a Záhorská Bystrica). Its distance from the capital city is approximately the same as from Malacky town – about 15km. On the west Stupava borders on the bottomland of the Morava river.

The territory of Stupava was settled as early as in the Bronze Age. The first known ethnicities were Celts. Later, this territory neighboured with Roman province Panónia. In Stupava Romans had an advanced military base from Carnuntum town (in Austria). In the area of the previous Roman military base a long-term archaeological research has been performed aiming to create an open-air museum. Early Slavonic settlement can be testified by the finds of burial place and ceramics from the 6th-9th century. The first written reference to Stupava dates back to 1269, it was known as Ztumpa. In the 13th century the Pajštún castle was built as a seat of the Pajštún and Stupava barony. Later, the aristocracy seat was relocated to the Stupava mansion. Thanks to its advangeous position Stupava was an important centre and junction of trade roads since its establishment. The well-known markets took place here. Stupava was famous for flax and hemp oil pressing. The reference to this tradition can be found in the coat-of-arms of the village as well as in the name itself: stupa means oil press.

The Stupava mansion was originally built in renaissance style. From 1867 it belonged to the Karoly´s family who had it renovated in romantic style. In 1947 the mansion burned down, the following restoration significantly changed its appearance. Nowadays it serves as a retirement home. A park with a lake is behind the mansion building. Other sights are as follows: St. Steven the king Church – the current form traces back to 1767, burgher’s houses in baroque and classicist style and the Jewish synagogue (in ruins). Currently the central square and some historical buildings are under restoration.

Several marked paths start in Stupava leading to the Little Carpathians. The most favourite point to see is ruins of the Pajštún castle. Cycling fans have a possibility to enjoy a bike ride in the hills of the Little Carpathians as well as on the flat surface of the Záhorská plain. Out of the mountain paths an attractive one is the path down the valley of the Stupavký stream through Borinka, Medené Hámre leading to Košarisko, this route is part of the marked path from Vysoká pri Morave to Sv. Jur. In Košarisko starts a marked cycle route leading to Lozorno, not to mention a connection by asphalt roads with Bratislava. Out of the flat routes the most interesting is the one through the bottomland of the river, easily accessible from Stupava.

Regular cultural events are organized in Stupava: Deň zelá (The cabbage festival) and Stupavský širák (country festival). In the town are excellent conditions for tennis, there are clay tennis courts as well as a hall opened all year long. The international tennis tournaments are held here. The accommodation in Stupava is provided by several facilities of different style and category.

The most general
Sports (111232x)
Attractions (71094x)
Discussion
Rebuilding the railway station
Disorientation street names