Wednesday | 17.1.2018 23:03 | Nameday: Nataša

Hohenau an der March

The village lies in the eastern part of Weinviertel at the former Amber road two kilometers southwest of the confluence of Moravia and Dyje rivers. The first written mention dates from 1148 under the name Hohenoe. It is assumed that its formation is linked to the formation of the Nová marka area, which in the 11th century served to defend against Hungary. In 13th century, Johanites came to the village; they founded the first religious house until the 1266. One of the first owners of Hohenau county was Duke Albrecht, after him Kuenring family and the Lords of Mistelbach.

The Roman - Catholic church in the Roman style, which was rebuilt in the year 1400 into Gothic is an important architectural monument. Later it was rebuilt in Baroque style and expanded by the side nave. Above the entrance to the church is placed a wooden statue of st. Florian from 1906. The main altar dates from the late 17th century. Early baroque pulpit, baptismal font with lid, late baroque altar of St.Barbara and a wooden statue of the Virgin Mary are in this church, too. On the square in front of the church stands a stone baroque statue of St.John of Nepomuk from the year 1724. At the main street, there is preserved baroque bell tower.

The castle, which was also housed by Ulrich Herbart Liechtenstein, is located in Hohenau, too. Since it was later rebuilt to a castle, it did not serve a defensive position and in 1645 it was occupied by the Swedes. In 1800, the castle was destroyed and on the castle hill, houses were begun to be built. The foundations of the castle remained to be preserved in some cellars.

Source: Kollár, D., Ovečková, J., Ovečková, M.: Slovensko – Rakúske pomoravie, Dajama 1996.

The most general
Sports (111229x)
Attractions (71094x)
Discussion
Rebuilding the railway station
Disorientation street names