Saturday | 20.1.2018 04:36 | Nameday: Dalibor

Gajary

Gajary

The Gajary village is located in a flat area of bottomland of the Morava river and the Záhorské plains. On the west it borders on the protected landscape area Záhorie. The first written reference to this village dates back to 1373. The archaeological research testifies settlement as early as in the Neolithic period. Rich finds trace back to the Bronze Age and settlement from the times of Great Moravia was testified, too. In the village there is the original early-baroque Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary from 1665-1673. At the end of the 17th century there was built a protective wall with four corner bastions that were later rebuilt into chapels. The Gajary village used to be part of the Plavecký barony and was developed as a landlord town. In 1667 it gained a right to hold a market. Nearby the village there used to be fords across the Morava river and later, a bridge to Austrian Durnkrut built in 1874. Inhabitants used to leave for work to Austria. The Gajary village used to be harassed by frequent floods, one of the most destructive was in 1926. Building the protective barriers began in 1928. Gajary is a birthplace of Dominik Skrutecký (1849-1921).

There are two significant paths going through the village – the Moravian Cycle Route and the Záhorie Cycle Route. Accommodation can be found in two tourist hostels. The farm Gladis offers riding school services and simple accommodation of a village type.

Most popular today
Sports (7x)
Towns (4x)
The most general
Sports (111253x)
Attractions (71109x)
Discussion
Rebuilding the railway station
Disorientation street names