Saturday | 20.1.2018 04:35 | Nameday: Dalibor

Angern an der March

The village is situated in the northern part of Marchfeld plain by the upland of Weinviertler Hügeland. Since 1972 the local parts Grub, Mannersdorf, Ollersdorf and Stillfried belong to the village. The first written mention comes from the year 1045. An important archaeological site is at the territory of Stillfried. The findings from prehistoric and medieval periods are part of the museum collections of ancient and modern history. One of the exhibitions can be found on burial, which nature trail with information boards passes over. Angern has evolved as a wine-growing village known for its wine. In 1839 the railway was built here. The castle built at the place of destroyed castle belonged to the most important buildings in this area. The owners often changed. The castle burnt down during the Second World War. The chapel, which served as a parish church was located in the north-west side. The castle chapel was saved from the fire. Only roof was damaged, however, this was rebuilt in 1947. The foundations of the new Roman - Catholic Church were made in 1957.

One of the most important monuments in Angern is the chapel of St.Rochus. From the hill on which it is situated, is a beautiful view of the Hainburg Mountains, Little Carpathians, Devinska kobyla, Moravia valley and the whole plain of Marchfeld.

The Roman - Catholic Baroque church from the year 1746 is in the village Ollersdorf. In the local part Stillfried and Grub is the Roman - Catholic Church Bergkirche. The church was built in Roman style, later was rebuilt in Gothic and Baroque style. Mannersdorf has a long tradition in wine, as evidenced by the wine cellars at the Rochusberg hill.

Source: Kollár, D., Ovečková, J., Ovečková, M.: Slovensko – Rakúske pomoravie, Dajama 1996.

Most popular today
Sports (5x)
Towns (3x)
The most general
Sports (111251x)
Attractions (71109x)
Discussion
Rebuilding the railway station
Disorientation street names